Shelli Thompson's blog is dedicated to assisting others find their way to a healthy life style.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Importance of Resistance Training

Many people don't understand the importance of resistance training.

When I ask people if they lift weights I get many answers from, "I do it but I hate it" (wow) or, "I don't want my muscles to look like a man". (okay) or just ,"no"

One thing we need to understand as women is that we are deffinately built diffrent than a guy. Even if we did want to look buff all of the time it would be very hard and require many hours in the gym. Women are not made to look chisseled they are supposed to be "round and soft".

I don't think that either one is a description of the woman that I want to be.

For one thing, I want to take care of my body so it will sustain me through life.
So I will lift weights, stretch do cardio exercises and that all leads to a more healthy and active lifestyle and that is also a way of getting exercise.

Now back to the importance of weight bearing exercises. As a woman we all know that as time marches on we loose bone mass. Yes we can take medication but the most natural way of PREVENTING it from happening is to participate in resistance training.

If you are afraid of bulking up this is what I suggest and do for myself. I lower the amount of the weight to be lifted and then I increase the number of repetitions. This will tone the muscle and increase endurance making the muscle stronger.

Another good exercise is isometrics. That is taking a low weight and holding it for at least a slow count of 12. This also tones and increases endurance.

Remember that Muscle weighs more than fat but it takes up less space.
Toning your muscles will make your skin look better
You burn more fat and calories with weight lifting than aeorbic exercise. By no means give up that cardio work out, you heart needs attention too!
find out more @

No comments:

Post a Comment